HomeLocal NewsLawsuit alleges Sacramento County deputies broke man's arm during jail booking, the...

Lawsuit alleges Sacramento County deputies broke man’s arm during jail booking, the public wants answers

Published on

Sacramento, California – Cristain Rodriguez has launched a complaint against Sacramento County alleging deputies mistreated him badly during his booking at the Main Jail last year. According to reports, Rodriguez was aggressively handled by deputies on September 29, which resulted in a broken arm.

The lawsuit filed last week in federal court claims Rodriguez was transferred to the jail for processing after being detained for a claimed probation violation. The complaint describes a dramatic series of events whereby Rodriguez was strip-searched, slammed forcefully against a wall, had his limbs forcefully manipulated while he provided no resistance. It also says deputies hauled him to another room, threw him on the ground, and locked him with handcuffs behind his back.

Read also: CalPERS Investment Strategy pays off with 9.3% return, benefits members and sets ground for bright future

The breaking point was when Deputy Jarrod Hopeck allegedly Rodriguez’s left arm so forcefully that it fractured. According to the lawsuit, Hopeck realized of the harm as it happened thanks to Rodriguez’s rapid reaction and cries of pain.

Deputy Hopeck—along with at least two other officers listed in the lawsuit—are not working for the county as of December 7. Their departure from county employment has unclear circumstances. Records reveal that since 2016, Hopeck has been involved in several use-of- force events including officer-related shootings.

Rodriguez says he was refused medical assistance following the event despite several pleas. Only after his release did he get a diagnosis verifying a fractured elbow among other ailments, which have not completely recovered.

This case raises important issues regarding the execution of Senate Bill 1421, adopted in 2019, which requires the publication of law enforcement data on uses of force resulting in serious injuries. Legal experts contend that Rodriguez’s injuries should set these transparency rules, but the police have not made the required paperwork or video evidence available.

The lawsuit accuses the participating deputies with unlawful seizure, forceful behavior, supervisory responsibility, violations of California’s Bane Act, carelessness, assault, and battery. As the matter develops, it adds to the ongoing examination of the Sacramento County jails, which have recorded four inmate deaths since May this year alone.

Cristain Rodriguez has launched a complaint against Sacramento County alleging deputies mistreated him badly during his booking

Read also: Sacramento County seeks to solve the affordable housing crisis with unique initiative

Spokesperson Sgt. Amar Gandhi of the Sacramento County Sheriff’s Office has not commented on the ongoing legal actions or the deputies’ job status. As the case reveals issues related to force and openness inside the county law enforcement policies, the community and supporters anticipate more developments.

Latest articles

Arrests at heavily targeted Sacramento store reflect broader statewide push to confront repeat theft through enforcement funding and legal reform

Sacramento, California - A coordinated retail theft enforcement effort in South Sacramento led to...

Limited time outings this Valentine aim to reveal true personalities of Sacramento shelter dogs

Sacramento, California - This year, the Front Street Animal Shelter is doing something new...

California expands funding to speed wildfire recovery in Los Angeles through factory built housing designed to rebuild neighborhoods faster

Los Angeles, California - California officials are moving forward with another round of financial...

California redistricting survives challenge in court after Trump pushed Texas to ignite a redistricting battle

Sacramento, California - California officials are happy with a ruling from the U.S. Supreme...

Sacramento man arrested after allegedly threatening father with knife at county home

Sacramento, California - A man was taken into custody Tuesday morning following an incident...

Sacramento State downtown expansion gains momentum with new private funding: Bringing back life to the city center

Sacramento, California - Meta has promised $50 million to help build Sacramento State University's...

More like this

Arrests at heavily targeted Sacramento store reflect broader statewide push to confront repeat theft through enforcement funding and legal reform

Sacramento, California - A coordinated retail theft enforcement effort in South Sacramento led to...

Limited time outings this Valentine aim to reveal true personalities of Sacramento shelter dogs

Sacramento, California - This year, the Front Street Animal Shelter is doing something new...

California expands funding to speed wildfire recovery in Los Angeles through factory built housing designed to rebuild neighborhoods faster

Los Angeles, California - California officials are moving forward with another round of financial...