HomeCaliforniaVallejo man pleads guilty in strange San Quentin meth smuggling case

Vallejo man pleads guilty in strange San Quentin meth smuggling case

Published on

Vallejo, California – A former California prison employee has admitted in federal court that he used his position to move drugs and other banned items into San Quentin Rehabilitation Center, ending a years-long scheme that prosecutors say brought him more than $100,000 in illegal payments.

Keith Reindeer Randle, 56, of Vallejo, pleaded guilty to possession with intent to distribute more than 300 grams of methamphetamine to inmates at the facility formerly known as San Quentin State Prison. He had been charged by Information on March 20, 2025, with one count of possession with intent to distribute 50 grams or more of methamphetamine.

Read also: Sacramento deputies complete 300-mile ride to honor fallen law enforcement officers

According to the Department of Justice, Randle’s conduct stretched back to at least January 2019 and continued until Aug. 15, 2024. During that period, he admitted he solicited and accepted bribes in exchange for smuggling contraband into San Quentin, including methamphetamine, marijuana and tobacco. Prosecutors said he charged inmates and their associates about $1,000 for each item he brought inside.

At first, Randle received payments directly from inmates. But as concern grew that law enforcement could uncover the operation, he shifted the payment trail, taking money from inmates’ associates instead. The scheme came to a halt on Aug. 15, 2024, when Randle was caught inside San Quentin with a hollowed-out peanut butter jar containing 301 grams of methamphetamine, along with marijuana. The jar had been painted brown and glued shut so it would appear full and unopened.

Read also: A grim recovery puts Sacramento’s underwater rescue team back in the spotlight

Federal officials said the money trail showed how profitable the operation had become. From January 2019 through April 2020, Randle received $31,000 through PayPal from associates of inmates. Between July 2021 and August 2022, he received approximately $40,926 through Cash App from an inmate’s wife in exchange for smuggling contraband to her husband. By 2023 and 2024, prosecutors said Randle was mostly accepting cash.

On Oct. 1, 2024, federal law enforcement seized $55,210 from Randle’s two residences. Randle admitted the money came from his bribery and drug distribution scheme. He also admitted using illegal proceeds to purchase cars, motorcycles and other assets.

Read also: Drivers blocking Sacramento bike lanes will get warnings before the $150 tickets begin

United States Attorney Craig H. Missakian and FBI Acting Special Agent in Charge Matthew Cobo announced the plea. Assistant U.S. Attorney Benjamin K. Kleinman is prosecuting the case, with assistance from Amala James, Analisse Iniguez and Veronica Hernandez. The case followed an investigation by the FBI.

Randle is scheduled to be sentenced on Aug. 21, 2026, before U.S. District Judge Susan Illston. He faces a maximum statutory penalty of 40 years in prison and a $5 million fine. Any sentence will be decided by the court after review of the U.S. Sentencing Guidelines and federal sentencing law.

Latest articles

California welcomes Catalonia president for 40 years of sister-state ties

Sacramento, California - California’s long-running relationship with Catalonia entered a new chapter this week...

Sacramento deputies complete 300-mile ride to honor fallen law enforcement officers

Sacramento, California - More than 20 members of the Sacramento County Sheriff’s Office recently...

Sacramento cuts street homelessness nearly in half since 2022, new count shows

Sacramento, California - Sacramento’s latest homelessness count offers a difficult but important picture: while...

Drivers blocking Sacramento bike lanes will get warnings before the $150 tickets begin

Sacramento, California - Sacramento is widening its use of automated parking enforcement in an...

A grim recovery puts Sacramento’s underwater rescue team back in the spotlight

Sacramento, California - A difficult recovery on Thursday again placed the Sacramento County Sheriff’s...

South Sacramento traffic stop leads to arrest after deputies say convicted felon was found with a loaded handgun and illegal high-capacity magazine

Sacramento, California - A routine traffic stop in South Sacramento ended with an arrest...

More like this

California welcomes Catalonia president for 40 years of sister-state ties

Sacramento, California - California’s long-running relationship with Catalonia entered a new chapter this week...

Sacramento deputies complete 300-mile ride to honor fallen law enforcement officers

Sacramento, California - More than 20 members of the Sacramento County Sheriff’s Office recently...

Sacramento cuts street homelessness nearly in half since 2022, new count shows

Sacramento, California - Sacramento’s latest homelessness count offers a difficult but important picture: while...